Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SNAP IS CRAP! 20-year Ubuntu user saying "bye bye"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: SNAP IS CRAP! 20-year Ubuntu user saying "bye bye"

I switched to Linux Mint for my desktop about a year ago. I'm not much of a desktop DE user, so it is less about the GUI and more about which apps are there and how they work. I like to control the constraints for certain applications. Snap constraints happen to conflict with my standard setup, so snaps haven't worked on most of my systems already. Useless. I find the suggested work-arounds from the snap team to be highly undesirable. Their work-arounds would impact EVER OTHER SYSTEM here, not just Ubuntu systems. That's unacceptable.

Got tired of fighting with Canonical's ideas on a few things, but mainly snaps. I don't run stock Mint either, but not having to deal with snaps for many commonly used tools is great. I'll probably switch to MX Linux next install to dump systemd too. Eventually, systemd will be production ready. Someday. Systemd was created to fix problems I never had. Lots of things are added/replaced in modern Linux distros to solve problems that very few people actually have.

I have found a use for a few snap packages. I use lxd, though I'd much rather it not be a snap package. I also use the nextcloud snap, which has drastically simplified my nextcloud install and maintenance, though it does break addons periodically. It is better, overall, than manually maintaining nextcloud. Just wish the auto-upgrade disable commands actually worked. I wanted to stay on v24 of nextcloud and entered snap commands to prevent updates to any new major release. Alas, today, it is running ... NC29 ... er ... somehow. That's a bunch of major upgrades that I didn't want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: SNAP IS CRAP! 20-year Ubuntu user saying "bye bye"

Bye bye

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12